Pages

7/13/14

Love it anyway

"Sooner or later, you lose everything. Love it anyway."

This quote is from the twitter feed of my friend's father, and it struck me hard the moment I read it. Mostly because lately I've been thinking about exactly this. There are the endless clich├ęs that all more or less say: the only constant is change

But how true it is! And it is interesting how often, as humans, we seek stability, comfort, permanence. We find things (or people) and we give them meaning. In assigning this meaning, we are actually defining ourselves and giving meaning to our own life, our own being. This is not always conscious or intentional, but it happens. And then by giving this thing meaning, we give it significance, importance, w e i g h t.  

And then,

the things move on. We lose them. someone borrows them. they leave us. time happens, things shift, the tide changes once again.

I of course was thinking about this in regards to love. In my 32 years on the planet, I have loved so many people. Many of them have left. Or I have left. Sometimes I find them again and the love goes on. Some of them disappear, somehow, through the tiny cracks of space and time and I remember them only faintly, a light imprint on my heart. Sometimes I find people and all at once they mean so much to me, so many things, so many identities, dreams, desires, definitions. Sometimes I love immediately and hard; sometimes slowly and with caution. It is different every time. Similarly with the leaving, the losing. Sometimes it is abrupt and sudden, sometimes it is so slow that it is at first unnoticeable. 

But one thing I know for sure is that nothing stays forever as it is. 

Holding on to what we think we have is like grabbing a fistful of water: you open your hands and there is nothing left; you simply look at your open palms and wonder why you had them clenched so hard, for so long. 

The other thing I know for sure is this: Love it anyway.






2 comments:

Thank you for commenting! Even if I don't reply, I read and appreciate every single one of you. xo