Pages

5/15/14

Oh Summer Bright and Sweet

The past few days here have been wicked hot -- the song of summer seeping in from every corner, underneath the doors, in through the window screens. I bought popsicles. I took off my shoes. I cursed the lack of air conditioning in my car, and stared critically in the mirror at the major driving tan on my left arm. Signs that you drive an 80s car: your left arm is hella tan. 

On Monday, I drove to Petaluma to pick Asher up from his dad's. Petaluma was crazy hot! I soothed myself in the cool halls of Whole Foods, and for old time's sake, I spent lots of money on very pretty food. It made me happy. I don't live in a town with a Whole Foods anymore, but when I did, I used to go there allll the time with my baby. I believe I've blogged about this before. Look at those flowers, right? Our little market here is dear to me, but there aren't any flowers like that. And don't get me started on the cheese. Or the olive bar. Despite the many hot hours in the car, I always love the picturesque vibes driving through Sonoma county. It's unreal. It's beautiful in a different way than where I live; there are rolling green hills and red barns and black and white cows. The towering Eucalyptus trees bend toward the road, and the smell reminds me of being a small child in Oakland, driving to the zoo. 

 


Still working at the shop and trying to be the best I can be every day at what I do. I'm trying to be innovative in everything. How can I be better? How can I change things so that they expand further, so that my heart lifts up with wings and soars out over the trees?

Perhaps you, too, consider these things. Though I am still young, I am old enough now to begin feeling the short duration of our years in these human lives.  The time is truly now to create what we want; I don't think I'll regret trying really really hard. 

The weekend is approaching quickly, and mine holds promises of more sunshine (though less heat) and beautiful visitors from the Northern realms. Food will be cooked and stories shared. These last few days of May seem already so fragile, shimmering in the heat like a mirage. Once they are gone we will plunge into June -- the last days of school, the first days of true Summer. And so it goes, these cycles that rule us, the seasons that encircle us always with their determination and truth. 

Many blessings to you and your babies in this time of warmth and joy. Soon let's compare what's on the tables at our farmer's markets, and let's speak of sparkling rivers and giant trees. 

xo

p.s. If you did not hear via Instagram or Facebook, an adapted blog post of mine was published by Rebelle Society this week! Thank you to all my readers for inspiring me to write.

2 comments:

  1. I recall from last year, and the year before even? how you love Summer. It is always this time of year that I am commenting on Northern Hemisphere blogs about how we down here, are sliding into Winter. And this year is no different! Family time is different throughout the seasons isn't it? Eating together is pivotal in all, but different. We eat later and often outdoors in Summer, and in Winter, we are inside, grateful for hot steamy food aplenty. In my family, our afternoons and evenings become slower in Winter - we watch TV together, play boardgames and talk about our days - whereas there is so much running, and playing and less interaction in Summer. We need Winter to collect ourselves and re-form our family after Summer has had it's playful dash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! you were so close by! darlin', next time stop in for iced tea, ok? and i'll fill your heart up with enough sonoma summer to take back to paradise.

    also, hella tan arm = 80s car. hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Even if I don't reply, I read and appreciate every single one of you. xo