Pages

4/7/14

The Joy of Parenting

Can we talk for a minute about how much I love this little guy? Yes? Okay, thank you. 


The other day, Asher asked me if there was something I "always wished I could do."  My mind immediately jumbled, making me feel old and panicky as I tried to recall my dreams. I resorted to travel: "well, yes, I guess there are some places I have always wanted to travel..."

Then I asked him the same question. He paused and took a breath. "I just wish I could always say exactly what I feel without hurting people's feelings."

Dang. Lil homie really hits it home sometimes with his child-capacity for love and truth. I told him that was awesome and that he can always say what he feels, even if it does offend people. It's okay to sometimes offend people if you are saying the truth, I told him. He took another breath: "okay, well can I tell you something I've been thinking about you?"

I told him of course he can. "Well, you really need to cut your hair.  When I lay in bed with you I don't like how it gets on my face."

BOOM.

Three cheers for the little ones, for their deep capacity to see clearly, for their ability to be unburdened by that which we "grown-ups" would deem as important, and for their powerful roles as tiny reminders of the grand possibility of love and life. 


3 comments:

  1. MFL-"Three cheers for the little ones, for their deep capacity to see clearly, for their ability to be unburdened by that which we "grown-ups" would deem as important, and for their powerful roles as tiny reminders of the grand possibility of love and life."

    lets here it for speaking ones truth
    xo
    mg

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, hehe, did you do it? Did you cut your hair? My hair is frizzy and annoys the heck out of anyone who has the luck to be lying right next to me. Treasure Asher's honesty for sure, it will hold you both in steed for a long time yet. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Even if I don't reply, I read and appreciate every single one of you. xo