Pages

1/24/14

Simple Bone Broth Recipe

A few weeks ago on instagram, I posted a picture of some bone broth I was brewing. The photo got such a great response, I figured I'd post my process here. 

There are many ways to make bone broth, and there are many wonderful recipes out in the internet world. this is a simple, easy method that i like to use. Bone broth is so rich and healing and amazing, I really recommend having some around and keeping a couple jars in your freezer for when you need it. 



First of all, I use a crockpot. This way you can simmer for hours or days and not have to worry about it. I like making bone broth with lamb bones from the farmers market, but you can use any kind of bones. At  the market here, they sell bone packs specifically for broth making. I throw a pack (around 2 lbs) in the crock pot and then fill it up with filtered water. I also add some celery and onion chunks. Next, I add about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the water, and some salt (maybe a teaspoon or two). With the vinegar in there, I then let it all soak, still cold, for about 30-60 minutes. The vinegar soak will make the minerals in the bones more available in the broth.

Once it's soaked, I turn on the cooker and let it simmer on low for 20+ hours. You can do up to 48, but I usually stop at around 24.

Then, the messy part. The broth will be very rich and VERY oily, so be careful of spills. I strain it into a bowl, and then ladle it into jars for storing or freezing. Finally, I throw away the chunks of bone, etc. (Note: if you are freezing in jars, freeze with the lid off first to allow for expansion, and then place the lid on).

Thaw as needed. When the broth is refrigerated, it will congeal to a near solid because of all the gelatin in the broth. This is a good sign, and don't worry - once you warm it up it will become a liquid again. You can then use it as a soup base, or just drink a small cup of it each day. It's also delicious with some coconut cream in it and it makes a great snack on a cold day.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I commented on this, but whatever, I just said you should link this to Mary, 'cos I think she was asking about broth-making on FB. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Even if I don't reply, I read and appreciate every single one of you. xo