Pages

9/26/13

Hopscotch Sound

 Lucky for all of you, this is apparently radical babe week on my blog. this time I'm posting an interview with Angela LaBaw of Oakland-based musical project Hopscotch. This talented and radiant being is a friend of mine and is a huge inspiration to me in her eternal quest for authenticity and magic. I am also constantly super-impressed by her epic fashion sense and her creativity in terms of personal style. This girl rocks it out in some serious ways.

To learn more about her music, you can visit her website that i linked to, above (and here is her promo video).  Below are some questions she graciously answered for me a couple of months ago, and I finally dug them out to be posted. "Emotion," mentioned in the interview, is Hopscotch's latest single, and you can watch the music video here. Oh! And of course you can scope her out on facebook to see lots of awesome pics.


can you give me a brief tale of you and Hopscotch? (its origin, what it means to you)

I have always been a musician, singer and performer from a very young age. Hopscotch is my newest moniker, and it is a place for me to explore and express the many facets of my being. I officially began this journey officially in 2010. The game 'hopscotch' was one of my releases when I was a youngster, a game I could easily play alone or with others. I would get so creative with the chalk and always made up new dance moves, add the ghetto blaster ... FUN! This is how I view my life as an artist as well. My focus while creating the musical expression as Hopscotch is fun, deep, sexy and transformative. I want to create a space for others to feel, I don’t care what they feel, just to feel, feel safe and free to be with what is.  



what is the first moment you remember feeling your heart open and lift in response to music?

I have strong memories from my childhood with my father putting on psychedelic classic rock records and blasting them, it was all-consuming! My mother was an opera singer and while in her womb I feel as though I was programmed to walk the artist's path. I am sure my heart and being were forever changed by the power of my mother's voice. AND, I have to say that my first experience where my heart really opened and lifted in response to music would have been the first time I sang in the church choir at age 5. I didn’t give a fuck what the words meant, I was singing from my heart; it felt so real and so moving that I would (more than once) break into tears and laughter in response to how good it felt to just belt it out! Muisc has always been my #1 medicine. 



what gift do you want to deliver to the listeners of Emotion?

Some sort of emotional intelligence piece of sex wisdom, ha! Breathing is a way to get through the deepest, most painful times in our lives. I wanted to portray the vulnerability of lovers and emotion and our own connection with breath, emotions and lovemaking. Basically... breathe! it makes everything better… errrrything! ;)


what inspires you on the daily - just in general, not necessarily in music?

MY GARDEN in Oakland! I live in an oasis, and spend a lot of time and energy in the garden growing most of my food. I make my own vinegar out of the leftover fruit from my pluot, pear, apple and fig trees. I grow tons of flowers, and lately I’ve been getting really into succulent gardening too. I love to get out in nature and hike, and if I don’t get to the ocean often I feel weird. I’m in LOVE with archery and I go to the range as often as I can to let off some steam - it's in the redwoods in the Oakland hills about 10 minutes from my house, so it been a huge part of my life inspiration lately. Fashion and visual art inspire me a lot. My closet is HUGE. Just sayin'. My friends inspire me, keep me smiling and laughing and that’s so precious to me… thanks friends!


what is your favorite bedtime ritual?

FUNNY FACES IN THE MIRROR! And I like to take a minute to sit up and close my eyes to thank all that is for life and count my blessings. 



 all photos courtesy of Hopscotch; images 3-5 by Sequoia Emmanuelle


1 comment:

Thank you for commenting! Even if I don't reply, I read and appreciate every single one of you. xo