Pages

8/10/11

bounty

Yesterday was one of my best days ever with my garden. Thanks to endless sun and warmth, the garden has grown rapidly over the past couple months with hardly even any extra work from me. Of course I make sure to give it lots of love and care, but as a first-year gardener I am constantly astounded by the bounty that can grow in my tiny rectangle of dirt! So exciting.
First thing yesterday I made a big jar of pesto using green and purple basil from the garden. I blended it with garlic, cashews, parmesan and a bit of salt and it is delicious. That was project 1.

After that, we all went out in the garden to discuss the readiness of our giant watermelon.

It seemed ready, but it is always so sad when one harvests a not-quite-ready watermelon. After much thought and discussion, we decided to go for it.
Success! It was not only giant, but perfectly ripe and absolutely delicious. We've eaten half of it so far. Finally, Asher and I spent the evening making some pickles (photos above), which I've never done before. They came out pretty good, but I want to try some other recipes.

Do you have any pickle recipes? If so, share them below or link me to them...I want to try a couple more recipes out this week. My cucumber plant is going crazy.




7 comments:

  1. heck ya girl!! I am so stoked for your bounty of garden goodness! And, pickles!? Zoinks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. are those your own homemade dill pickles? Everything looks SO delicious! I've been using the kale I planted for juices and I completely know the feeling you're talking about. (this little square of dirt is giving me so much!) GRATEFUL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. our garden is doing the same--we can't believe how much basil and tomatoes and cantaloupes and cucumbers we have! i'll be freezing a lot of the tomatoes so that i can make yummy spaghetti sauce and veggie soup over the winter. mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl! I'd be jealous if I wasn't so darn proud of you. We've had a pretty abysmal garden year so far, and though the weather is turning, my tomatoes are still green as the day they first emerged. Basil? Nevermind. Cukes? After two unsuccessful years, I've given up on them. Watermelon? You're kidding, right? That's it! I'm moving to Cali.

    It should be noted that my garden patch is extremely shady. People do grow basil and melons here. Just not I.

    Lots of love. Thanks for sharing the bounty. I love the pickles. I'm thinking of pickling some of my beets, since I got no cukes. You're such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. everything looks so beautiful! that's one thing i truly miss about california-everything GROWS so well. that purple basil is real cool! xo m

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Even if I don't reply, I read and appreciate every single one of you. xo