Pages

4/28/11

full bloom

Here is a small taste of the blossoming wonderment in my yard.








So many flowers! A couple weeks ago, when all the blossoms were opening up and the surrounding orchards began to burst in to flower, Asher became overwhelmed with allergies. He was drowning in mucous, his eyes were watery, and he was generally a little bit spaced out. Apparently Chico is one of the worst places in the country for seasonal allergies because of all the blooming species and all the orchards. We gots some serious pollen. I felt so bad for Asher, though! I kept him home from school for a whole week, because his energy was so low, and then finally (after asking friends for a naturopathic referral to no avail), I turned to Google to answer my search.

In minutes, I found a local naturopathic clinic staffed by 3 doctors who had all trained at the National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, OR. This immediately felt comforting to me, because in my 5 years in Portland, the NCNM student clinic had acted as my primary care provider for Asher. They were always loving and gentle, would follow up with phone calls and recommendations, and would refer me to the ER or prescribe antibiotics when necessary (I'll get into the ER story another time, maybe). Mostly I felt really safe with them and like Asher's health was in good hands. Plus they had discount rates for office visits and prescribed medicines. If you live in Portland, I highly recommend exploring this as an option for affordable health care. They have various clinics located in all four quadrants.

But back to Chico - I made Asher an appointment with the local naturopath, and we went in for a visit. After some time checking out his lungs and ears and eyes and some questions, she prescribed a one-dose homeopathic medicine (which she gave him in the office), a gluten-free diet (so his body could stop fighting a low-grade food allergy and rally for the pollen, instead), and a three-day upper-respiratory viral treatment (syrup).

I kid you not when i say he was 99% healed the next day. DAMN. So obviously the homeopathic medicine was exactly what I needed, and I did the 3 days of syrup and we are now almost done with week two of gluten-free. HE IS SO MUCH HEALTHIER!! I am so, so excited and grateful. He's back to school without dragging his little snot rag around, and he's even begun preaching a bit about what is gluten-free and what isn't. And I gave him a nice bunch of GF cookies in his Easter basket last week.

Anyway, I've been here for over a year and I'm so happy to have potentially found a natural doctor to work with on a continued basis. And I'm so happy that Asher is no longer a slave to the pollen. Here he is under our weeping cherry, which I should have photographed while it was flowering, but your imaginations will have to take you there - this is all I got:


10 comments:

  1. wow, those are some beautiful flowers! can't wait to plant mine. and what a little sweetie you've got there! will you stick with the gluten-free diet, or was that just for a little bit? I would love to try that for me and my little boy, he has issues with earaches sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on flower love overload!
    I am to chained to the hell of allergies from March to April. I have tried EVERYTHING! But being an adult, I can deal.but as a kid, I feel so helpless for them and they probably feel like that have had the flu for a month!
    Get better A -dawg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry - thanks for the love! i will pass it on to the A-man. and I'm so glad you love Carlos. AND how was your speech??

    Jessica - I've done the GF diet on and off for a few years. It is very difficult, as bread is one of the deepest and simplest pleasures of life. I'm going to do it at least for a month (I told him until June) and then reevaluate after that. However, I think it's remarkably helpful, and so I'd really like to stick to it as much as I/we can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homeopathics are magic if you get the right formula. Sounds like your HMD or ND was right on love it when it is magic and so glad Asher is breathing easily. Gluten free is hell but worth it, ET even found gluten free oatmeal by BOBS.
    Your flowers are magnificent!
    XO
    mg

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blooms are beautiful, but aw, poor little guy. I'm so glad you found the type of care you were looking for and it all worked out so wonderfully. That's amazing that he had such a speedy recovery, woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the info, and believe me I know what you mean about bread being a pleasure of life! My local bakery bakes it up fresh every other day. I'm telling you I don't know how I could go even a week without bread or cheese! but I would if I had to for my son though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. jealous of the flowers...I have a big old bag of potting mix, some empty planters....and no time this weekend to get 'em sorted...one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uuugh allergies! We treat ours with nettle infusions and lots of face fashing, but no remedy on earth can treat the cedar pollen allergy. It's the very worst. I'm so glad you were able to find the right help and a kind practitioner. Enjoying spring is no fun when you're all itchy and sneezy. We're planning to do a whole course of remedy for C. in the fall. Hopefully it will help. We both have em bad but his is the worst.

    Your blooms, troublesome as they may be, are beautiful. Gosh I wish I could reach through the screen and smell them and feel the sun. Ours are coming slowly, slowly...

    I hope you get to enjoy it even more now that Asher is feeling better. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh Sadie that is so great! What a relief. Poor little guy :-(

    Sacramento is the same- when people who have never had allergies move there, they almost always develop them within a few years. All the agriculture, and being in the valley.

    Your flowers are gorgeous. That lavender rose is killing me. And the poppy, I love those poppies so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Even if I don't reply, I read and appreciate every single one of you. xo