Pages

10/5/09

Lessen the impact, from one mama to another


Another mama friend of mine recently filled me in on some uber-hip tricks to make living a little bit cheaper and a little bit more eco-friendly. I inquired about her homemade laundry soap recipe, and she replied:

Hi there, yes, that was me! I made my first batch (doubled the recipe below--I was feeling confident) a month or two ago and really like it so far. I also use a 1/4 cup(ish) of vinegar in the rinse cycle which seems to be a bit of a natural fabric softener. I used the vegetable soap from Trader Joe's (2 bars for about $1.79 if I remember correctly). Borax is easy to find, but I did have to go to a few stores before I found the washing soda. There is some discussion "out there" about the green-ness of Borax, but this is still a green move in my book, and it's really cost effective too. Give it a try!

Powdered Laundry Detergent- Top load machine


1 Fels-Naptha soap bar

1 Cup Washing Soda

½ Cup Borax

Grate soap or break into pieces and process in a food processor until powdered. Mix all ingredients. For light load, use 1 Tablespoon. For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 Tablespoons. Yields: 3 Cups detergent. (Approx. 40 loads)


I'm also on week 4 of no shampoo (1 T baking soda mixed with a cup of warm water scrubbed into your scalp a few times a week)
and week 3ish of aluminum free deodorant...so far so good on the no poo, but I'm not as convinced that AZ is the right climate for skipping anti-perspirant! :)


This email was sent a while ago, and I admit that I still have not concocted my own batch of soap. BUT I WILL. Soon. Vewy vewy soon.

And, last night marked my first try with the baking soda hair rinse. It sounds pretty good to me - I have a lot of faith in baking soda, and shampoo isn't very scalp-friendly. I had a lot of luck with the Alaffia stuff, actually, but I left it in California last week, so now I am double-inspired to try this. I will keep you all posted about how it goes, and I will post once I actually make the laundry soap.

(Thanks, Leah!!)

image via cool products blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Even if I don't reply, I read and appreciate every single one of you. xo